The movie I recommended in the DVD Hidden Gem segment I did this week for CBC Radio is actually kind of hard to track down on DVD, but I had recently watched Mikey and Nicky, and talking about it seemed like a good way to pay tribute to the late Peter Falk, who gives one of his all-time best performances in the film, playing John Cassavetes' best friend but also the man who has betrayed him to the gangster who's put a contract on his head. Elaine May's inability to stop fiddling with this film in the editing room is the stuff of Hollywood legend, but the "finished" product, if that's the right word for it, feels loose, spontaneous, and rumpled—the opposite of fussed-over perfectionism.I've got plenty more to say about this film and the greatness of Peter Falk, and you can hear me say it by clicking this link. Enjoy!

0 Comments